Men's Ministries for the Disciples of Christ in Georgia
The General Conference of Disciples Men is the formal organization
of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States
and Canada, ministering to the unique needs of men in the church,
enabling them to fulfill their potential as servants of God, strengthening
the total ministry of the church.
News from our Congregations
Men's Retreat 2015
Rev. Todd Adams talked to the men's
retreat about Mission in the 21st Century on April 17-19, 2015 at
Christmount Christian Assembly in N.C.
Layman of the Year 2014
Guyton Christian Church
The 2014 Layman of the Year Award was presented to Laverne Cavanah
of Gyton Christian Church on Sunday, January 18, 2015 by members
of the Georgia Disciples Menís Commission.
The worship service was led by the Rev. David
Grandgeorge, pastor of the church. The Rev. Medie Still, Disciples
Menís President led the Presentation.
Lifetime Achievement Award
Sunday, May 19, 2013, Eddie Trumble, a long time
member of Peachtree Corners Christian Church was recognized as a
Lifetime Achievement Award recipient by Georgia Disciples Men's
President, Medie Still. Eddie has been instrumental in congregational
work over the years serving in positions such as Stewardship chair,
greeter and choir leader, and supporter of community outreach through
work with Norcross Cooperative Ministries (Food/Clothing Pantry),
Family Promise of Gwinnett, and the Peachtree Corners Christian
Church Pumpkin Patch which donates proceeds to a variety of area
organizations. In the Region, Eddie has supported both Georgia Disciple
Men's Rallies and Retreats, attended Regional Assembly, helped with
Camp Christian needs and other regional giving opportunities.
Click to see
a larger Photo - Photos by Dottie Gill
Johns Creek Christian Church
The JCCC Menís has partner with the IMPACT
Group. The Menís group have started a tool pantry for families
involved in their housing program we have asked our men
and members of the church to bring lawn tools which will
help a new family in their new home provided by The IMPACT
Years ago our church introduced a program
in support of North Fulton Community Charities (NFCC) that
we affectionately call "DAWGS" or Dollar A Week
Grocery Savings. With our members and participants contributing
just a dollar a week, we have been able to purchase thousands
of canned goods which have been donated to NFCC and distributed
at Thanksgiving to qualified needy families. It is that
time of year again when we are soliciting your help. Please
consider giving your "dollar a week" offering
towards this important ministry. We will be purchasing our
canned goods on Thursday, November 20th, so please give
Liberty Christian Church
The Men of Liberty Christian Church teamed
with the Disciples Women to hold the First Annual Bake and
Church Wide Yard Sale Saturday, October 26th, 2013.
The sale featured homemade baked items,
coffee, soft drinks, water, gifts for kids that attended,
clothes, household items, electronics, small furniture,
and lots more. These funds will help families at Thanksgiving,
Christmas, and the men hope to send a donation to Camp Christian.
Submit your News!
To submit your news for this column - send
an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
and make sure to indicate it's "Men's News"
Milton Summerall Endowment
The Disciples Men Commission of Georgia is pleased to announce the establishment of
an Endowment in the Name of Milton Summerall.
Layman of the Year and Lifetime
Disciples Men present two awards
each year, the Layman of the Year Award and the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Click on the appropriate link below to learn more about these awards and
nominate someone you believe is deserving.
Why Attend Regional Men's Events?
- We should spread the word to others that God is working through men.
- Shared experiences help you and others.
- We can work together for a greater good in mission ventures.
- We can benefit, grow and discover a better picture of the church as Jesus intended.
- We can share Spiritual fellowship -- we are kindred spirits.
- We see that we are not alone and that others go through the same things in this life.
- Our gatherings reinforce who we are as Disciples and that the church is global, not limited.
- We have greater opportunity to hear new insight from speakers from the wider church.
- We can tackle larger service projects as a region than a single congregation can do.
- Physical fellowship -- being with likeminded believers in a ministry of presence.
- We are meant to gather -- Jesus sent his Disciples out in groups, not alone.
- We share an abundant and overflowing outpouring of Christian love among the men.
- To be a greater witness to the joy of salvation in Christ.
- A benefit -- "as iron sharpens iron, so to does one man another"
- So you can meet more folks you'll spend eternity with.
- Because God is worshipped and you can experience that worship through
music, singing and prayer from a uniquely male perspective and atmosphere.
- To stay informed about the joys, needs and concerns of the wider church.
- Somebody there may need your help.
- Somebody there may be your help.
And last but not least,
- A verse -- " Forsake not the assembling of yourselves" for Christ's sake.